Two weeks (ish) until the biggest fitness conference of the YEAR and one of the MOST FUN fitness blogger events! You’re excited and you’re putting off packing until the last minute. In order to make the most out of your BlogFest trip, here are packing and snacking plans you can begin to prepare/shop for now!
I’m too excited to think straight!
Just a reminder, make sure you check the to-do’s from Part 1 – (Business cards & researching attendees/exhibitors) because you still have time to do some of those things if you hurry.
1: The Packing Hack
Here is my advice on how to pack efficiently and smartly. See what you’re working with NOW so you have time to get things you may be missing. If you do these things the day before you leave, you may not have time to get what you need or want.
Lay It All Out
- Do all your laundry NOW, or at least this weekend, and lay out what you want to bring.
- Get out all your bags/luggage and see what you’ve got. Is it enough? Too much?
Clothes Tips: Set aside your favorite workout clothes and travel clothes. You’ll want your best, most comfy things at BlogFest. This keeps me from sweating up my favorite gear the week before I leave and then frantically looking for them as I pack the day before…only to realize they’re stanky and I don’t have time to do laundry. #firstworldproblems Still…do it now.
Luggage Tips: Make sure your luggage is in good condition. I might be the minority here, but even though you will collect a lot of goodies at BlogFest, I don’t believe it warrants a giant-sized roller.
Use a medium to small sized case (especially if you’re sharing a hotel room) with a folded down duffel inside. On your way BACK HOME, put all your stanky clothes/shoes in the duffle and carry it on, and put all your precious BlogFest/IDEA World goodies in your sturdy check-in luggage.
Outfits You’ll Need (not want, just need)
- TOPS: You will want to bring your favorite items because…photos!…but try to limit yourself to just one top for each day. There’s a good chance you’ll sweat through them and then sit around in them and then sweat in them again – so I recommend loose styles that you can relax in. Shown above is the Rosie Excel Built-In Tank, Wilde Excel Double Layer Tank, and C9 Champion High Support Bra.
- WARMTH: Convention halls get cold, especially when you’ve just left a sweat session and then head in to an air conditioned lecture hall to sit for 45 minutes. Bring something long sleeved you can throw on. Shown above is the Women’s Wrap Top.
- BOTTOMS: It’ll be hot outside so cropped tights or shorts will be ideal. When a session workout starts, most people set all their belongings along the side of the room, but bloggers MUST keep their phones on their person for those priceless action shots! Shown above is INKnBURN tights (all their stuff has giant pockets).
- DRESS: If you’re not a dress girl, that’s fine. The idea is that your travel outfit CAN double as your evening casual outfit (saves space) for the IDEA World Party & BlogFest Networking Party. Shown above is the Crochet Slubbed Dress which just look comfy and cute.
- PACK: A purse will be too small and your gym bag is probably too large. You want to find an easy to carry pack that is JUST RIGHT. Shown above is the Titanium Bag which has an insulated bottom (for your healthy snacks) and will feel easy to carry with double shoulder straps.
- SHOES: Again, sandals don’t have to be your thing, but if your travel outfit is the same as your evening outfit, find a pair of comfy/cute shoes with a small footprint. 😉 Shown above is the Croft & Barrow Beaded Footbed Sandal. Now, cross trainers are multi-purpose shoes that you can move do all kinds of movement in (dance, box jumps, lateral movements, etc), which is exactly what you’ll be doing. Shown above are Reebok Nanos. Running shoes because I plan on running...RUN WITH ME! Shown above are Brooks Glycerin.
Tools You’ll Need (The short list)
- PHOTO: There is much debate on whether or not to bring a proper camera. I say no. You’ll end up snapping in-the-moment photos with your phone anyway. Invest in a good camera phone and you’ll be more than pleased with the photo/video quality for your blog. I never came away from a conference like this wishing I had brought my DSLR.
- POWER: If you don’t have a portable power bank/battery to recharge any electronic device, get one. There will be outlets in the BlogFest room, but they’ll be more difficult to come by throughout the convention center. Don’t miss a good photo because your phone died! [Affiliate link] Shown above is the Poweradd Pilot 2GS.
- NOTES: If you must bring a laptop, fine. However, you won’t enjoy carrying it around the convention center. A tablet with a wireless keyboard is ideal. It makes live tweeting the sessions a breeze and you can sneak in a blogpost while you’re there. [Affiliate link] The Logitech Bluetooth Multi-Device Keyboard works with iOS and Android devices and Windows/Mac/Chrome devices and allows you to toggle between connecting to 3 different devices at once.
- FRESH: Multiple sweat sessions in one day with no time for a shower can leave you funky. Bring something to freshen up with. ShowerPill is great but you can also grab a travel pack of baby wipes at Target.
- BACK UP: I’d rather take notes old school than bring a laptop. That aside, there have been many times in the expo hall I just needed to write a quick note and didn’t want to bring out my phone or tablet (saving battery).
2: The Snacking Hack
There will be many options for proper meals and you’ll be able to snack up a storm at the IDEA World Expo and Cooking Stage. However, you must still have your own plan for food SUCCESS, otherwise you may end up hangry, fatigued, or noshing on a no-no. Here are my recommendations but you can easily adjust based on your dietary needs or favorite brands.
- ELECTROLYTES: One Nuun Activte Hydration tube carries 12 tablets (enough for the whole trip) that quickly dissolve in water. Use your existing water bottle for your sports drinks and save space!
- POST-WORKOUT: After the hardest workout of the day, I’ll get a protein powder in quick because I know I have to last (mentally and physically) for several more hours. Any powder you like will probably do, but I’ll be brining the new Aria Women’s Protein Power by Designer Protein for it’s added nutrients.
- CRUNCH: A cooling, juicy carrot or apple (or any other fruit or vegetable) tastes really good, but also helps keep you hydrated and can be easy to store/carry with you all day without needing to be kept cool. You can also grab a TRU FLAVORS Ranch Dipper because it doesn’t have to be refrigerated and it’s super tiny.
- CHEW: One Mini Babybel cheese round and a handful of mixed nuts/dried fruit goes a long way. Trader Joe’s sells trek mix in individually packaged single serves. Keep the full bags of cheese & trek mix in your hotel and just bring one or two individuals with you each day.
- EMERGENCY: Whatever your feelings about granola/energy/protein bars, they can save you in a pinch. I like Luna and Lara bars because you can get super small ones.
- BOTTLE: If you’re like me you probably have a bazillion water bottles. Pro-tip: Bring one that can handle both hot and cold liquids so you aren’t carrying a water bottle + coffee cup + sports drink. [Affiliate Link] Hydro Flask makes the BEST bottles for this and they come in many sizes/colors.
Of course there will be options for food in the Convention Center. Be forewarned, these little cafes will have long lines and limited options. Then there are places to get FULL meals at L.A. Live. They may not all be cheap, but hey…what’s travel if you don’t spend a little extra on a nice dinner out?
3: RSVP for the Fun Run!
If you haven’t already, you should definitely RSVP for the Fun Run hosted by myself and Linzie Starr of SharpEndurance.com. We will have PRIZES – but it will also be a good way to meet your bloggie besties IRL before all the madness gets rolling.
How to WIN BIG at BlogFest Part 1 (Things you can do NOW to maximize your opportunities)
Interview with Jamie King of FitApproach
Interview with Kelli Davis of IDEA World
Interview with Alyse Mason Brill of FitApproach
Meet my BlogFest Buddy Tara
How to WIN BIG at BlogFEst Part 3 (How to make the most of BlogFest WHILE YOU’RE THERE!)