Ladies and Gents, we’re one month out from the biggest fitness conference of the year! This will be my third trip to IDEA World and 2nd BlogFest! I’m pumped to further train my mind, body, and sharpen my blogging skills. I want to squeeze the MOST out of this experience and I’m sure you do too.
Here are some things you can do to MAKE SURE you walk away with enough knowledge, inspiration, swag, and opportunities to make BlogFest & IDEA World worth your time and money!
1: ORDER BUSINESS CARDS
Put your blog URL, social media handles, and contact information on a piece of paper that looks professional. Why? Because…
- “Wait, what’s your blog?”
- You want companies exhibiting at IDEA World to remember you for future opportunities.
This is cheap and easy, just don’t wait because…shipping! Do this NOW to make sure you have them in time for BlogFest!
Here are some fun, fast, and friendly online printers to work with:
- Moo (makers of the mini business cards I love because you can print several different designs in one batch). This is a referral link.
- Zazzle has an easy DIY online design tool so you can customize a card without being a wizard at graphic design.
- Vistaprint has reliable quality and often has great discounts.
2: SIGN UP FOR IDEA WORLD SESSIONS
No, you don’t have to sign up for BlogFest sessions. If you are planning on staying Saturday & Sunday for the IDEA World sessions, you need to sign up for those. It’s not hard; login to your IDEA World account and follow the steps. Here are some tips:
- Read the details of each sessions to make sure it’s what you want. Sometimes session titles are misleading (not intentionally, but they just can be).
- Stagger workout with discussions/lectures to give your body a break.
- Pick at least one thing COMPLETELY NEW to you – maybe a type of workout or a lecture on something outside your current body of knowledge.
3: KNOW WHO IS COMING
Spend a few moments perusing their blogs and make a list of who you want to connect with…because you never know who will become your next Blogger Bestie! Once you meet these people in person you never know what doors/opportunities that will open for you.
4: RESEARCH EXHIBITORS & SPONSORS
Most of us coming to BlogFest want to know how to make a (better) business out of our blogs. That almost always involves working with brands on paid campaigns or getting sponsored.
This is why sticking around for IDEA World is such a huge OPPORTUNITY!
You can get face-to-face time with brands that may want to work with you!
- Click here to see who is sponsoring BlogFest breaks/sessions.
- Click here to see the long list of health and fitness brands that will be at IDEA World.
- Research them to see who you want to work with!
- Follow their social channels. It’ll be easier to tag them when you stop by their booth.
A Case Study:
Truitt Family Foods is a sponsor and exhibitor at IDEA World and they are sponsoring this post in exchange for being my example on researching a brand. Truitt Family Foods (TFF) is one of many logos on the exhibitor list linked above. What else can I find out about them?
Steps to researching a brand:
- 1) GOOGLE THE WEBSITE.
- Go to the TFF Website. What do you notice?
- They sell grab-n-go hummus packs. They’ll probably be sampling at IDEA World.
- Where do they sell? Their website, Amazon, and west coast grocery stores.
- They’re on Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest. There may be an opportunity there.
- They have a wholesome feel with words like “Our family”, “Farm Fresh”, “make a difference”.
- Where are they based? Oregon. PERFECT. Maybe I can visit them.
- 2) IS THEIR BRAND COMPATIBLE WITH MINE?
- Immediately I like their vibe. Let’s make sure I like their product.
- What do they sell? Portable hummus and veggie dips that don’t need to be refrigerated.
- Love the idea…but…what’s in it? Anything I can’t eat or promote?
- Check the Ingredient list. It checks out for me; simple and readable. Green light!
- Who would they want to sell too & does that fit my audience? If they’re selling to online shoppers and have product in west coast grocery stores, that fits my readership pretty well so far!
- 3) WHAT ARE THEY DOING WITH SOCIAL?
- If I like what I see, I go back to their social accounts.
- What are they doing on Twitter or Facebook? How can I engage with them?
- Are they already working with bloggers? TFF doesn’t seem to have an ambassador program or affiliate program. Maybe they’d like to start one?
- How could I convince them to work with me? What seems to be their needs to increase their business and digital presence? How can I help them with that?
- What might their goals be for IDEA World? How could I help with that?
Now make a plan:
If you follow the steps above for all of the brands you don’t already recognize at IDEA World, you can make a list of which ones fit YOUR brand and make a plan to reach out to them at the conference. Here are some more tips:
- If there is a brand you LOVE, reach out to them BEFORE the conference. There is a good chance they will have a marketing/social media representative there and you could try to schedule an appointment to meet with them.
- Have your elevator pitch ready. When you approach a brand at the conference, be ready to concisely describe your blog, why you both fit well together, and give an example of how you might be able to help them grow their online audience.
- Don’t forget to bring those business cards you ordered!
And the FINAL thing you can DO NOW to make sure you WIN BIG at BlogFest is…
Interview with Kelli Davis (The Brains Behind BlogFest)
How to WIN BIG at BlogFest Part 2 (Tips for packing and snacking)
Interview with Alyse Mason Brill of FitApproach (The Brains Behind BlogFest)
DYK: You can enter to WIN a free pass to BlogFest from ValentineRD! Ends 6/23/15.