There are some things in life that you discover…and it’s just RIGHT. Everything about it fits. Fits you, your life, your interests. It’s like it was made for you. If that thing becomes incredibly difficult to acquire, a slight obsession can begin to manifest.
With that awesome intro, I have a confession:
I am part of a super secret
society Facebook group of INKnBURN worshippers fans who have recently combined their otherworldly powers to make it possible for me to acquire my all-time most coveted running status symbol….
THE Out-N-Back shirt!
I saw this beauty for the first time on Facebook when a guy named Shacky posted a photo wearing it. In that moment, a woeful dread hit my gut as I acknowledged the growing conviction that THIS shirt was MADE for me and I had to have it. My own. My precious. I offered Shacky copious amounts of money and beer for the shirt but no dice. Obsession rooted.
WHY must I have it?
- The In N Out motif; a symbol of southern California, iconic food culture and one of my guilty pleasures. I had an In-N-Out themed Ragnar Relay team for two years.
- It says ultrarunner on it. I just barely qualify for the title, but I have big plans to continually adopt it as part of my identity. What better way to celebrate my accomplishments?!
- I believe, however ridiculously, that wearing it will give me the power I need to accomplish my biggest running bucket list goals!
So clearly, I had to have it.
However, it was no longer in production. Anyone who owned one was incredibly unwilling to part with it, as are almost ALL who own a piece of INKnBURNs most secretive and under-the-radar releases, like the R2D2 which was sold quietly as a “mystery shirt”.
The Most Passionate Fans. Ever.
INKnBURN has a cult following, of which I am merely on the fringes. There is a private group where believers of the brand swap or sell their preloved pieces. I got in to their group and posted several times about the desire for this one, elusive, fantasy shirt of mine. Mostly no one responded. Many hadn’t even heard of it. Or so they said….
What I DID learn was the lingo of this new family:
- “Classic” pieces are the designs INB released prior to their relaunch this year. They are the earliest designs of the brand, iconic pieces to the initiated, and now gone for good.
- “Unicorn” is an item someone wants…no, THE item someone must have. The item they’d go great lengths to get. They are elusive, rare and highly sought after for their magic.
- “Angel” or “Fairy” refers to someone who assists others in catching their unicorn. Perhaps he/she organizes a group order of classics from a store in Sweden that happens to have a bunch still in stock, or assists in a three way trade of unicorns.
Catching My Unicorn
Last month, a unicorn keeper was ready to deal. She had not one, but TWO (mind exploding) OUT-N-BACK shirts. She would only accept a trade but I had nothing she wanted. I was heartbroken to be so close yet so far away.
I know it’s a bit much, but this shirt is an omen of things to come.
It is proof that dreams do come true!
It means good things for my next 50k!
It tells me I can and will finish the Mt Hood 50 Miler someday.
I’m gonna wear it for every damn trail and ultra race!
The Art of Fitness | INKnBURN Review
- Have you ever had an item you obsessed over? Did you get it? Was it worth it?
- Are you an INKnBURN fan? What’s your unicorn?
- Am I a little ridiculous? It’s okay, I think I am.