Alright, the 20 Days of Nourishment ended yesterday.
This Wednesday at 5:00 PM Pacific Time, I’ll be on Twitter to chat with others about how it went on hashtag #HowINourish. Follow me @RunningHutch.
Taking the time to log what I feed my mind, body and spirit for 20 days was more challenging than expected. My goal was to get a read on how well I’m taking care of my whole self. I definitely found the answers I was looking for. Now the question is, where to improve?
Between sickness + birthday + family in town I have a lot of “good excuses” for not sticking my eating guidelines. What are my guidelines? I shoot for eating 80% home-cooked, fresh veggies + lean protein, good food. The other 20% is for social eating (you never know when you’ll be invited to a party at a cupcakery) and treats for the sake of joy and spontaneity.
WHAT I LEARNED: I’m more like 60/40 right now on my healthy/fun eating, and it’s becoming a habit.
IMPROVEMENTS: I need to get back to my 80/20 guideline.
- I will eat more salads. I need to make salads sexy again. They are easy and quick and more appetizing when it’s hot out. I’m going to add new toppings like some walnuts, hemp seeds, and perhaps finding some new salad dressing recipes.
- I will “cut corners”. For example, I normally buy a head of garlic and have to peel and prepare it when I cook. Yesterday I bought vacuum-sealed pre-peeled garlic cloves. The bit of extra cost is worth it right now.
- I will food prep. Pre-cutting vegetables and pre-cooking meat is easy enough and makes the likelihood of my preparing a good mile skyrocket. I need to remember to cook meat in the morning when it’s cool (we have no A/C).
This wasn’t pretty. A lot of negativity has crept in and I’ve allowed it to dwell.Sometimes my “imagination” gets the best of me and I begin to fear or worry about things that are not based in reality!
WHAT I LEARNED: I’m scared about what’s next in life for us (Are we moving? Am I starting another small group fitness session or not?) and I’m escaping from the thought of it. Instead of being proactive and productive, I’m wasting my time watching shows on Netflix.
- Discuss with people I trust. When facing big changes, I need to discuss ideas and possibilities with people I trust. One good “mental nourishment” action I did take was to talk with my parents about our plans for a possible move. It’s good to get their perspective.
- Revise my goals. When I stop being productive towards future goals it is generally because I’m worried they will be a dead end. If that’s the case, then I should revisit my goals and revise them, making sure they still make sense for me right now.
We went for a hike last Saturday and, I have to say, being out in nature makes me feel close to God.
WHAT I LEARNED: I blame time, but that hasn’t been the issue. It’s desire. After finishing my first beta women’s faith and fitness group, I felt like I was spread a bit thin. I’ve put too much pressure on myself in the giving area and not in the receiving.
- Time Blocking. For some reason, when I time block my week out for everything (exercise, writing, coaching, food prep, devotion), it is a lot easier for me to mentally “settle” and take the time to meditate and pray. It is easier to be still when I am confident than I have enough time to get everything else done.
- Accountability. J and I do better when we hold each other accountable to taking the time to pray, read scripture, and listen to God. Our small group isn’t meeting as frequently right now, but that’s another place where accountability is key.
20 Days of Nourishment
This experiment was helpful, but it wasn’t everything I expected it would be. I DID expect to realize that how I “think” I’m nourishing didn’t match up to the reality of what I logged. However, I also thought I’d see bigger patterns revealed in these 20 days, which wasn’t the case…likely because I was sick much was out of the norm for the first half of the challenge.
The biggest benefit for me was taking the time to think about…well, what I’m doing with my time and reasons why I’m not nourishing my whole self as well as I could be. Being as this was the first time I did this, I’m not surprised that I didn’t keep a log for every day. I plan on doing this again maybe in 6 months, maybe next year, to get a picture of where I’m at and what I want to improve.
How about you?
- If you did this for any amount of time, what did you learn?
- How do you make sure you are nourishing your mind and spirit?
If you haven’t done something like this, try out a One Week version of what did. You can click here to download the log and read the instructions.