I’m currently writing about the huge variety of fitness trackers and sports watches out there. For humans. What about our four-legged running buddies? I’ll admit I’ve tried putting my GPS watch on Moxie before to get her stats. You can imagine how that went. Good news – there is a better way. It’s called Whistle!
I’m going to give you a discount code and opportunity to WIN a kit, but first let me tell you what it is and how it’s worked with Moxie.
What does Whistle do?
A lot! First and foremost, it is a GPS tracker that alerts you via email and/or text if your dog escapes. You attach the tracker to your dog’s collar and use their app to designate your “Whistle zone” on a satellite map. This zone is where your dog is supposed to be, i.e. your property. If Moxie leaves her Whistle zone, I get an alert.
Second, it is an Activity Tracker! Kind of like a Fitbit for Fido. You can see how active your dog is or how much rest she’s getting throughout the day and set custom goals. How much romping around in the backyard is Moxie really doing? [Spoiler alert: absolutely none.]
What else can it do?
- If your dog goes AWOL, you can ping his or her location in the app. A map will show you where your dog is! No more frantic guesswork and driving aimlessly around the neighborhood.
- Easily reset Whistle zone. Traveling? Camping? Easily reset your Whistle zone when you arrive at your destination and avoid any Homeward Bound situations. (Remember that movie?)
- Set medication reminders! Never miss a dose and log what was given and when so there are no mistakes.
- Activity history & charts can help you see positive or concerning trends in your pet’s health.
- Enjoy the Whistle community! Interact with other dog lovers who actually enjoy seeing Moxie’s photos and stroke my furmom ego.
- Multiple “owners”. Obviously Moxie owns me, but as far as the device is concerned, I can give others access to her pet tracker. This will be useful when we’re away for Christmas and she’s staying with friends.
- Too hot? Too cold? While this feature hasn’t been released yet, the pet tracker does have the capability of sensing your pet’s ambient temperature!
Whistle Pros & Cons
The battery life on this thing is excellent! It has a base/charging station that senses the pet tracker. When Moxie is near the base station, the device automatically goes into power saving mode. Genius. Also, it’s really simple to set up and start using.
The tracker itself is pretty large. On Moxie, an 80lb dog, it seems proportional. However, on my mom’s mini Yorkie? This might be a non-starter. Also, the way the device attaches to the collar is no good for the braided paracord collar (too thick) my husband made for Moxie. So we have a secondary strap that holds her Whistle.
Pictured above is the tracker tied on to her paracord collar. Still worked.
To be fair she hasn’t seemed to notice or mind at all! And it does seem very secure and sturdy, so she can’t scratch it off, rub it off, or damage it.
And of course, there is the monthly fee for the GPS service. However, if you have a Houdini hound dog or spend a lot of time on off-leash adventures, I’d say it’s worth the fee to make sure your pet stays found.
#MoxieTheRidge is fit and fashionable!
[…and she hates sunglasses….]
Whistle Giveaway & Discount
Discount code: Use WHISTLEFIT for $30 off until the Wednesday before Thanksgiving (11/23).
Giveaway: Enter to win (1) Whistle and 3 months of service! Ends Sunday, 11/20 at midnight PST. Winners must be U.S. residents. One prize per person as there are multiple giveaways on other blogs.